Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Library Coffee Bar, Avenue K, Jalan Ampang

The coffee culture is pretty much a thing in the mainstream world, and as I mentioned in my Coffee Cottage post, coffee bars and cafes are mushrooming all over Kuala Lumpur.


The Library is a popular chain of bars among the modern city night-life - it's in many hip areas frequented by the young and trendy. They've come up with the Library Coffee Bar at Avenue K, replacing Stage club along with Johnny Rockets. It's a coffee bar where the baristas don't wear Starbucks-esque aprons, but smart vests with a shirt.


Memories came flooding in when I stepped out onto the foyer - in 2012 I waited here for Miyavi, and that was one of the best nights of my life. I could visualize where the stage was, where the VIP area was, and where we headbanged all night to Miyavi's performance... *sigh*


My friend from high school Erwin works there, and I've been wanting to try out the place for some time. And I did, along with two guys, on the day that Erwin wasn't working. Which wasn't too big an issue, and I got to try out the stuff there anyway.

BOOKSHELF. And le people =D
You'd be a little bit confused, because there's a Johnny Rockets podium right outside (both Johnny Rockets and Library Coffee Bar share the same entrance), but once you get past the bright colors representing Johnny, you'd be welcomed into a rustic cafe and the delicious aroma of waffles cooking behind a glass divider.

Sound-proofed walls dominates the upper floor, highlighted with dim lights.
There are two levels to the coffee bar, both dominated by a hipster-ish bookshelf. The lower level is brighter, giving the place a more lively atmosphere; while the upper level, with an actual bar with bar stools, small arm chairs in a corner, and some couches oozed a more laid-back and cuddly feel. It isn't as mainstream as a Starbucks joint, but it was definitely reminiscent of a Starbucks joint - I would say the difference in atmosphere, as the Library Coffee Bar definitely oozed more class.



We ordered a drink each. Well, I ordered drinks for the both of us. My regular would be a green tea soy frappe at Starbucks, or a Pure Vanilla at CBTL. I ordered a hazelnut white coffee for him, and I tried out the pure vanilla. The prices were pretty much like Starbucks or CBTL, but I preferred how deliciously creamy yet light the pure vanilla turned out to be!

What our dates usually looks like if we're not puffing away or talking.
We were later joined by Ronnie, whom I haven't seen in ages and refuses to post a shot of his sick robotic arm tattoo. I didn't get a shot of his macchiato, which came in an espresso cup.


I need to rant about my obsession with espresso. Not the coffee itself - heavens, no, it's way too strong for me; but with the word itself. Espresso is the Italian word for the strong shot of caffeine that's used in a lot of coffee-based beverages now, and it is NOT to be confused with EXpresso. You neither spell it nor pronounce it as expresso. ESPRESSO is the way to go. The Italians and I will thank you very much. End of rant LOL.


Location - 6 / 10 (central, but I wouldn't drive all the way to Avenue K just for a cup of coffee)
Atmosphere - 9.5 / 10 (I love rustic, homey, snuggly atmospheres)
Beverage quality - 8.5 / 10 (I can only rate for the pure vanilla - hazelnut is not really up in my hood)
Price - 6 / 10
Service - 9 / 10 (friendly, efficient, and professional)


LIBRARY COFFEE BAR
Business hours: 8.30 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Lot G-8B, Avenue K,
156, Jalan Ampang,
50450 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel.: 603 2181 6077

No comments:

Post a Comment