Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

18. What's your favourite night time look?

What other than the classic smokey eyes? I really seldom go out at night, but in the event that I do, I really like to think that my eyes look mysterious, sexy and mesmerizing. Where night-time looks are concerned, the silhouette and the eyes are the key points - the eyes are the windows to the soul, and a good figure reels in attention.


So. In the past when I just started make-up I used to use browns for my smokey eye (Artistry eye shadows in Chocolate, Java and Ash Black). There was one time in Beijing, China when we were visiting my dad, I did this make-up look for a day trip (I hadn't fully grasped make-up theories yet), and my dad commented in an elevator: "Wow, Chean, you need to get more sleep." I was like "what?". Then my mum said, "It's called smokey eyes, it's the 'in' thing now". Something like that.


I have really dark under-eye circles, which makes pulling off brown eye shadow a bit tricky. My dad commented that because I hadn't concealed my under-eye circles and applied quite a bit of dark brown shadow to the outer half of my lower lash liner, somewhat intensifying the look of the dark circles.

Done impromptu. The brown didn't photograph well and my lashes wilted because of my Opera mascara, hence the less-glam look. However, I found a new trick for the brows.

I've learnt my lessons, and this is how I do my night-time look:
  1. Skip ahead to eyes first by priming (shu uemura Creme Eyeshadow in Beige).
  2. Apply an off-white color to inner corners (usually matte beige or a sheer champagne color).
  3. Apply medium brown shadow sweeping from outer corners to center of lid and a tiny bit on the outer half of the lower lash line.
  4. Apply dark brown shadow to outer corners, contouring the socket and applying a bit on the outer half of the lower lash line.
  5. Apply black shadow right at the outer corners, joining with the lower lash line.
  6. Line eyes with pencil/black shadow.
  7. Line waterline with pencil liner.
  8. Apply generous coats of mascara (Lancome Hypnose or MaxFactor FLE). False lashes optional.
  9. Clean up fall-outs.
  10. Apply foundation as concealer on eye circles and proceed with usual foundation.

It's actually very basic, and the colors can be replaced with many other colors. A hint of color added to the black would be nice. Foiling over a shimmery/metallic color at the center of the lid would also be pretty. I would usually go for the "sexy" look over the "sweet pretty" look.


Ps. While doing the piccie for this look I had already "contaminated" my angled brush with black shadow so I couldn't use it for the brows. I used my rarely used gel liner brush instead and I like the effect it created. Soft effect with precision.

No comments:

Post a Comment