Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

How my laptop died

As much as I took it for granted, it was my baby. I've had it since 2011 (only 2 f**king years), and it's been my best friend ever since - all my hours spent on it, and it almost never threw tantrums.


Anyway, as to the cause of death: drowning by alcohol. It was late at night, and I was comfortably snuggled in the TV room, the laptop on a chair while I sat on the floor, in a Skype call with a friend, enjoying a nice beer. As usual, I placed the unfinished can of beer beside the laptop.


Within a split second - BAM! - there was foam over my keyboard, with the emerald Carlsberg can laying on it's side. Not being used to emergency situations like these, I froze for a few moments (a few moments too many), before rushing out of the room to find a towel.


By the time I was back, the screen was flashing on and off, and it wouldn't start up again. I tried drying it completely all between the keys, then gently blow drying it with a hair dryer, zip.


Over the next few days, I kept trying to start it, but it wouldn't.


Unedited photos of my wrecked laptop innards. The green thing is the motherboard, and if you know tech, you'll be cringing by now... At the top photo, you can see where the liquid flowed...
My sister's boyfriend finally performed an autopsy on my laptop, and it is, sadly, officially announced dead. You know how some people who work with computers just try to salvage parts from broken stuff? Yeah, he's that kind of guy, and nothing could be salvaged from the laptop. The motherboard was almost completely burnt.


According to a few people who deals with computers, replacing the motherboard would be almost equal to getting a new one. So basically I can't dissect my laptop, give it a few jolts of lightning, and Frankenstein-ify it back to life.


Fortunately, I'm born in a family with many people interested in technology, such as my dear uncle. Just as I was about to go around screaming that I have no idea which model to get, he narrowed down a few ultrabooks for me.
  1. Asus S46CM-WX121H
  2. Lenovo Ideapad U310
  3. HP Envy 4-1209

From first impressions, and research so far, option #1 is the best option (like my uncle described: sexy). So, hopefully, some good deals will be found at the PC/IT fairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment