Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Tutorial: Daytime gyaru-inspired look

 I've been wanting to do another video for a really long time, but procrastination and many other factors just made me ... well, procrastinate. Anyway, I'm on my semester break now, so I have ample time on my hands, and hence I made the video!


Gyaru is a Japanese term for "girl" or "gal", and this form of make-up and/or culture is usually portrayed as innocent, cute, and sometimes teary eyed, or sexy, depending on the type of gyaru. The key components of going mainstream gyaru? Iris-enlarging circle lenses, liquid eyeliner, false lashes (both top and bottom), contoured face, pouty lips, usually light brown hair, and feminine attire and accessories.


Like visual kei, gyaru has different types - like visual kei has oshare kei, gyaru has himegyaru, agejo and Amura. Here's an article on the types of gyaru.


Wendy a.k.a Xiaxue's style is somewhat gyaru; and those girls you usually see on Popteen or Cawaii magazine? Yes, those are usually gyaru styles. Oh, yeah, and Xiaxue did an interview for NHK a while back on a show just for gyaru fashion - read it up here (pic-loaded).

Close up~
Originally I wanted to do a multi-in-one make-up tips video, but I got a little carried away, found my false lashes, and started drawing on fake bottom lashes. @_@ It turned out quite pretty, and here I'm gonna share with you how I did it!!!


I'm currently in the process of regrowing my eyebrows to reshape them, because their shape just went wonky. In a way, it helped the look - notice how gyarus always have that innocent, slightly droopy-eyed look? The thick brows help emphasize that innocence. ANYWAYS. Here is the video~




Eye make~

Products used:
EYES
  • shu uemura Creme Eyeshadow in Beige (primer)
  • Artistry shadows in Sand, Basic Beige & Ash Black
  • Daiso Cosmetic 165 (eyelid tape, trimmed)
  • Za Liquid Eyeliner in Real Black
  • MaxFactor False Lash Effect mascara in Black
  • generic brand natural crossed lashes (cut in half)
  • The Face Shop Lovely ME:EX Automatic Eyeliner in White
FACE
  • Kate Concealer for Pores
  • Maybelline Clear Smooth Aqua Gel Foundation in Natural
  • Pigeon Compact Baby Powder in Beige
  • Artistry shadow in Basic Beige & Sand (nose contour & highlight)
  •  Bobbi Brown blusher in Blushed (face contour)
LIPS
  • Kiehl's Tinted Lip Balm SPF35 in Hue No. 30G

I did absolutely nothing to my eyebrows except brush them through with a spoolie; and for the lips I opted for balm instead of gloss because my lips were so dry. I could've done a cupid lip, though. Here a few camwhore shots~

My sister's bear


Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this look!

No comments:

Post a Comment