Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Simple scrambled eggs

I like scrambled eggs. My aunt taught me how to make scrambled eggs when I was 8, and I still remember her exact directions, though my technique begs improvement. The problem with scrambled eggs is that it can either be too dry, too wet, or just has a weird flavor.


I don't like the scrambled eggs you find at hotel breakfast buffets - they taste weird. And I had some scrambled eggs at Backofen this morning - they were more like quick fried egg.


So. Here's my recipe. It's not the "politically correct" one, it's not the best one, but this really works for me.

Topped with just a slight bit of dried chives and dried dill.

You'll need:

  • 2 eggs
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1-3 tbsp butter

Just remember the proportions: 1 egg : 2 tbsp milk : dash of pepper : pinch of salt. The salt and pepper are according to each egg, and not for the entire mixture.


  1. Crack the eggs into a clean bowl. Add in the milk - you can put in however much or less as you would prefer, but approximately in reference to the given proportions.
  2. Add in the salt and pepper, and beat until nice and foamy (this makes your eggs fluffier~).
  3. Put a small/medium saucepan (I've been using small/medium pots and saucepans for scrambled eggs - they cook easier for me) on medium heat, then add in your butter.
  4. As the butter melts, coat the bottom and the sides around 1-2 inches from the bottom of the pan with the melted butter. This provides a non-stick coating.
  5. Pour in your eggs into the saucepan and keep stirring with a wooden spoon or similar (I like using a ladle with angled edges as it helps me get any egg stuck at the corners).
  6. This is the tricky part - cooking your eggs. Your heat control must be good, if not you'll either burn your eggs or it will take forever to cook.
  7. KEEP STIRRING AS YOU COOK. This will take about 3-5 minutes, depending on how dry/wet you like your scrambled eggs. Keep scraping any solidified eggs from the sides because they will burn if you don't, and cleaning up with be hell.
  8. Once you turn off the heat, the eggs will continue cooking for a while, so take some time to adjust your timing so that your eggs cook nicely.
  9. Serve your eggs with some bread. You might notice some liquid oozing from the eggs - that's the milk. 

I personally like to have my eggs with some dried dill and chives (dried because I can't get my hands on fresh ones). All in all, it's up to you how much of what you like to put in.

No comments:

Post a Comment