Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Movie marathon

Sorry for the previous depressing post. Just got, well, depressed, slightly.


Anyway. My mum bought three DVDs a couple of weeks ago, and since we have been watching a couple of Hong Kong dramas then, we didn't watch them until just the past couple of days. The best type of movie? In an air conditioned room, with delicious, warm pizza and chicken wings (no wonder I'm fat).


The first movie, and the one that I liked the most, was the one and only Fast 5. Yes, I know, I'm slow. Never got round to watching that in the cinema, which I regretted because the effects would've been awesome.


Starring Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, and two of my favorite muscle men in the movie industry - Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson. Never in my life would I have thought that my fantasy of seeing them together in a movie (that didn't involve kids and tutus), not to mention an awesome one.


I love the way everything was so ... suspense-driven. Just enough comedy relief (by Ludacris, Tyrese Gibson and Sung Kang) to accompany lots of action, suspense, crime and violence. I love movies like these, but I hate those depressing war movies that involve all the actors in camouflage suits.


That twist at the end was beautiful. After the visual credits, there's a small cut acted by Dwayne Johnson and Eva Mendes. She tells him about a motor heist in Colorado (I think), but it doesn't involve Toretto (Diesel), however upon further reading, the heist involved Letty, Toretto's dead girlfriend. Just in case the audience didn't it, Mendes' script involved asking Johnson, "Do you believe in ghosts?"


An ending like this always guarantees another movie, who stars Jason Statham, Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel (according to IMDB). We'll have to wait until next year for the movie then. It better not disappoint.


Puss in Boots had me expecting something, I dunno, something like Shrek? This movie was basically Humpty Dumpty, Jack & Jill, Jack and the Beanstalk all in one. Though the movie does give some insight to the life of Puss before meeting Shrek, I find this movie mediocre, though cute at some parts.


Whether this was a low budget animation or they just couldn't find enough staff I don't know, but the entire story felt a tad bit crude. The thing I liked? Kitty Softpaws (Salma Hayek) and the way Antonio Banderas voiced Puss. I think the thing that made me dislike the entire movie was Humpty Alexander Dumpty. He just had this really deceitful, can't-be-trusted face, and seemed like a very annoyingly insecure character.


I don't know more than half of the people who acted in this movie, but The Three Musketeers was awesome. The only guys I can recognize? Milla Jovovich, Orlando Bloom and the guy who acted as Percy Jackson in the Percy Jackson movie.


Just another Musketeer movie which is set in France, it gives another perspective to the three Musketeers (Athos, Porthos and Aramis) and their little apprentice (D'Artagnan). In contrast to what I had seen in The Man in the Iron Mask (Leonardo DiCaprio, John Malkovich, Gerard Depardieu & Jeremy Irons), the four Musketeers seemed completely different.


Athos in Mask was a heartbroken father whose son died in an attempt of the King to possess his lover. In Musketeers he was merely a drunk who seemed to have lost faith in everything. Aramis was a religious, guilty, yet extremely intelligent person, in contrast to the rather care-free (but still religious), agile fighter in Musketeer. Porthos was a bloody womanizer and a complete drunk with kidney stones and a desire to end his life in Mask, but in Musketeers he was merely a wealthy man who fights with brute strength.


After they were made the King's Musketeers (again), along came an attempt of creating a scandal between Queen Anne and Buckingham of England (Orlando Bloom), which was headed by the Cardinal of France, assisted by Milady (Milla Jovovich).


Strange, though. The movie made me feel that the entire movie rotated around a diamond necklace, that was gifted to Queen Anne by King Louis for an anniversary. Milady had stolen them, planning to place them in Buckingham's possession so that they could prove the scandal that was previously depicted in some false love letters.


The movie seemed a tad bit confusing for me, especially after reading the synopsis on IMDB, but then again, I love action movies, with adventure and style. Can't say so for the wardrobe, though. Milady, Buckingham and King Louis constantly looked as if they were dressing for a costume party. I hated Milady's collars, and also King Louis' various hats and outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment